The Life Saving Force behind the Scenes
We have over 300 dedicated volunteers that are compassionate and hardworking. We would not be able to save lives and do what we do without them. We are excited to continue to grow our volunteer team and continue to make a difference in cats’ lives and in the community.
Who to contact:
Jamie Hazard, Volunteer Coordinator
We value our SAFE Haven volunteers and thank them every day.
Volunteers complete many of the day-to-day tasks involved in running the shelter and getting the cats and kittens ready for adoption.
- There are volunteer opportunities every day of the week! Anyone age 16 or older who has a compassionate heart and a few hours a month can volunteer in the shelter.
- SAFE Haven provides a safe and pleasant environment.
- We house the cats in unique community housing rooms and in roomy, open-sided cat enclosures providing a 360-degree view of them – and they have one of you, too! Two large playrooms are available for one-on-one visits with the cats.
- SAFE Haven has an excellent safety record, and volunteers are always under supervision while at the shelter. SAFE Haven is inspected annually and is licensed by the NC Department of Agriculture, Veterinary Division.
What to Expect:
- Personal tour of the shelter
- Training and supervision
- Refreshments provided at all times
- All appropriate equipment as needed
- Easy online sign up system
- Weekly email update on adoptions and volunteer needs
- A great hands-on experience
- Social activities
- And the CATS!
The basics of volunteering at SAFE Haven:
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old to volunteer in the shelter without a parent or guardian but youth opportunities are available.
- Volunteers must commit to volunteering at least four hours per month (two shifts) but many of our volunteers choose to do more!
- It is helpful to have access to internet and email because SAFE Haven uses an online volunteer management/sign up system called MyImpact. But you are also able to call us.
- Volunteers must be able to follow written and verbal instructions, and work well with others.
- Must read through our Volunteer Handbook before the start of their first shift.
- Please read about our Volunteer Opportunities, Foster Program and Youth Opportunities to decide if volunteering is right for you. Also see our Volunteer FAQ section.
- Complete an Online Volunteer Application. Once completed, our Volunteer Coordinator with follow up with you, typically within 1-2 business days. You will receive a “Welcome” email once your volunteer application has been approved.
- Attend one of our Volunteer Information Sessions that are held six times a year. Please note, it is not required that you attend an Information Session prior to volunteering! Please see our calendar to sign up for the next one.